After getting back to dance after the concert I’ve felt like my energy has be lacking a little bit and I was really struggling to find things to pack in my school lunch that were new and exciting. I know we’re all probably still enjoying lots of sweets thanks to Halloween but I’m finding that it’s starting to have some real negative effects on my energy and stamina, so I decided that it was time to do some healthy alternative baking. Welcome to Miss Maddie’s Munchies!!!
As dancers, we all must take good care of our body; make sure that it gets all the nutrients it needs to be strong and healthy. Sometimes it’s a bit tricky to find healthy snacks to nibble on between dance classes, but it’s so important that we replenish our bodies during exercise, especially when we’ve come to the studio straight after school and hang around until late at night. This is one of my favourite recipes to make as after school/dance snacks, on the go breakfast and even desert- plus its super easy and kind of fun to make 😉
o 1 cup (180g) dried figs
(can be interchanged with apricots, strawberries, blueberries ect)
o 1 cup (140g) raw cashews
o ½ cup (60g) rolled oats
o 2 tbsp cashew butter
(can be interchanged with other nut butters)
o ½ tsp vanilla essence
o Food processor or blender
o Bowl of boiling water
1. Soak dried figs in boiling water for 15 – 30mins depending on how chewy you want your balls to be (the longer the soak, the less chewy).
2. Remove stems and slice in half. If your using a blender rather than a food processor I would recommend cutting into quarters, as often blenders aren’t as powerful.
3. Add figs and remaining ingredients to a food processor and process until all ingredients come together and forms a ball.
4. Roll into desired size. Try ½ tsp for little snack bites or 1½ tbsp for desserts or anything else your heart desires.
5. Store in an airtight container (for up to about a week) in the refrigerator.
And that’s it! Super easy and super yummy ‘Vanilla Cashew Energy Balls’. The reason I love this recipe so much is because I can really put my own spin on it every time I make them, and so can you.
Lots of love and good luck baking!
Miss Maddie Xox